Based on your feedback from last week’s menus, an improved approach to Midweek Menus this week. This week, the menu is focused around a few key ingredients: a blockbuster black bean stew that stretches into two other dishes, roasted sweet potatoes, and our favorite wintry green (kale). This approach should help you use up all the main ingredients and cut down on your cooking time.
Look below for the menus, plus a bit of cunning strategy advice to make chopping board-to-table time a little faster. And as always, check out our Fall-Winter Recipes Pinboard for more hearty, filling recipe inspiration.
The Week’s Recipes
- Monday: Blockbuster Vegetarian Crock Pot Black Bean Soup | Suggested side: salad greens in simple vinaigrette
- Tuesday: Mango-Avocado Salad with black Beans
- Wednesday: Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Black Beans and Gorgonzola
- Thursday: Pomegranate Kale Orzo | Suggested Side: local sausage
- Friday: Frittata for the leftovers | Suggested side: a crusty loaf of bread
- Monday, make a double serving of the black bean soup, but use a little less water than recommended. You should end up with the most delicious spicy black beans you’ve ever tasted. Use them in place of regular beans for the next two dishes. If your soup is still a little watery, just use a slotted spoon to dish beans into the other dishes.
- Wednesday, roast all of the sweet potatoes you have on hand, so you can easily toss them into your frittata on Friday. You could also add them to the Pomegranate Kale Orzo salad.
- Thursday, chop some extra kale and store it in a container in the fridge for quicker use in the frittata.
- Friday, use any leftover veggies you like in the frittata. It is a very flexible dish.
Vegetables (and fruits)
- 1 carrot (a fridge staple)
- 1 stalk celery (a fridge staple)
- 2 large red onions (a staple)
- 6 garlic cloves (a staple)
- 2 green bell peppers
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- 1 ripe mango
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Salad greens
- 1 orange
- 2 pomegranates
- 2 cups pearl onions
- 2 shallots
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1 can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 lbs. dried black beans
- Crumbled gorgonzola
- A dozen free-range eggs
- low-fat milk
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Ground black pepper
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Chili Powder
- Balsamic vinegar