- Taste – grass fed beef tastes better! It’s natural, rich flavor is often described as being more intensely “beefy.”
- Healthy Fats – grass fed animals have lower levels of unhealthy fats and higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Other Health Benefits – grass fed beef is lower in calories and has a higher level of C.L.A., conjugated linoleic acid, which has been proven in studies to reduce the risk of cancer and diabetes. It also has lower levels of dietary cholesterol and offers more vitamins and antioxidants.
- More Humanely Raised – grass fed animals are more humanely raised, which keeps them from becoming stressed. In addition, almost 100% of grass fed animals aren’t given antibiotics or chemicals.
- More Environmentally Friendly - the process of raising grass fed beef requires much less fossil fuel than that of raising beef on a diet of dried corn and soy. Grazing animals do their own fertilizing and harvesting and grazed pasture removes carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
If you’re looking for a wonderful source of grass fed beef, let us introduce you to one of our local farmers, John Whiteside of Wolf Creek Farm.
John and his team at Wolf Creek had three simple objectives when they set out building their grass fed beef farm:
- To operate a farm that is completely sustainable as defined by the rural community in Madison County, where the farm is located. They refer to this as Traditional Farm Stewardship, as was practiced by agrarians around the world prior to the emergence of the Post WWII agri-industry.
- To produce an environment capable of sustaining healthy animals, as well as farm workers, neighbors, and customers who consume the by-products from their efforts.
- To ensure that what the farm is doing brings enjoyment to their customers and other members of our community through natural beef and other services.
Wolf Creek Farm uses no growth hormones but instead promotes natural growth by selecting Sires from heirloom British breeds, such as Angus, Red Devon, and Polled Hereford. Wolf Creek Farm animals eat only grasses, no grain or other feeds laced with antibiotics, so they are high in CLA and Omega-3 fatty acids, while being absolutely free of antibiotic residues.
“We on Wolf Creek Farm have the good fortune of being part of the movement back to sustainable, healthy, and enjoyable grass farming, supported by our customers. Our objective is to not only provide our customers with nutritional sustenance for their bodies but also feed their souls with the knowledge that they are part of a growing section of the population that is participating in the “Slow Food” movement, a movement that can ultimately reverse the damage caused by the hubris of the agri-industrial complex.”
You can find Wolf Creek Farm grass fed beef on Relay in Richmond, Charlottesville and DC/NOVA and Baltimore. We currently carry their frozen meat at all times and offer Fresh Cuts of their meat once a month (available this week). After April 1, we’ll have the Fresh Cuts every two weeks.
This week only: Use Code WOLFCREEKJANUARY to get 50% off up to 3 packs of frozen grass fed ground beef. Orders over $75 only.